Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

Spending Freeze: Week 3 reflection

What cleaning and organizing tasks were you able to accomplish this week?

This week I went through my closet for a second time to thin it out due to some inspiration from the book "Madame Chic" and her "10 item wardrobe". This may sound extreme, but it makes so much sense it's crazy. Once this challenge is over, I will be focusing on quality clothing rather than quantity. 
"As you go into this spring, prepare your wardrobe by storing away any out-of-season clothing. You won't need your ski jacket or that heavy sweater dress. You won't need your thick scarves, winter coats and warm gloves. These can all be put away until next winter. Instead get your capsule wardrobe ready for spring. I employ a wardrobe of around 10 core items. These core items include dresses, jeans, pants, skirts and blouses. I also have extras like t-shirts, special occasion dresses, outerwear and cardigans. For spring/summer, I like to have a few extra sweaters on hand in case the weather is fickle (which it often is).This is the perfect time to asses what you'd like to get rid of in your closet. Are some of your clothes looking a little shabby from last year? Are there any gaps that need filling? For example, my white jeans have seen two full spring/ summer seasons and are a bit worse for wear. They will be replaced with a new pair this year.
Now that you have a small list of items from your wardrobe that need updating, you will keep an eye out for these very things the next time you shop. And when you find the perfect addition it will feel like winning a scavenger hunt -- the satisfaction will be palpable.
Think about what color palate you'd like to dress in this season. Turquoise, white, lavender, melon -- what colors will make you feel happy this spring? Keep these colors in mind as you update your wardrobe. This will ensure that all of your clothes will pair beautifully together. Your wardrobe will tell a story.
Let's shed the thick winter skin of heavy cold weather garments in our closets and prepare our wardrobes for the lightness of spring. Your look will be effortless and getting ready in the morning will be a spring breeze."  -Jennifer L. Scott from the Daily Connoisseur
Currently, I have 25 hangers in my closet and there are probably a few more things I could get rid of that I don't wear anymore. I had a hard time tossing aside the JCrew items that I had, but realized I never wear them because they just don't fit me right. JCrew or not, they had to go. Once this challenge is over I will really assess my current closet situation and see what "holes" there are in my spring/summer wardrobe and start keeping me eyes open for those pieces.


What blessings have you experienced this week?

One night this week, Nick and I were enjoying dinner together after B had been put to bed. Sipping wine, we started talking about what sorts of things we have been taking away from this challenge. One that came up for both of us is there is no longer an OPTION to just go out to eat, and it's helped reset our minds (especially mine) from "I don't know what to make, let's just go pick something up" to "well, what am I going to make'. Due to this mindset shift, we have ate some pretty amazing meals this month and I no longer feel the need or desire for that matter to go out. I can safely say our wallets are super big fans as well!


What has been the biggest struggle? Where were you most tempted to cheat?

This week I did spend a little bit of money...however, both situations were for really important purposes. One of them was a donation to a good friend's family who was in need; the other was for a piece of (very not paleo) cheesecake on Nick and I's date night. We went to watch Steve Carrell receive the "performer of the year" award for the Santa Barbara International Film Festival this year and snuck out to grab dessert to bring home. We got one piece and split it. That is literally the only (what I would consider) NON-ESSENTIAL thing we have purchased in three weeks...I'm feeling pretty damn good about it.


What are your goals for next week?

My goals for this week are to sell some things sitting around, return some items from Christmas (jeez, procrastinate much?) and learn how to make a counter for my blog that shows my money saved toward the Paris trip so I can have another level of accountability there. On top of that, I am going to learn how to make my own all-purpose cleaner and face moisturizer as I am almost out of both. Wish me luck!

How is it going for you? What sorts of ah-ha moments have you had, or troubles? I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment